Click on photos to enlarge.
The Ecuador beach venture is offered by Dr. Andres Cordova who has been a friend and an Ecuador attorney who has helped many readers over the years.
Andrés has a passion for real estate and development. For the past three years he has been working on Punta Carnero, a coastal area that, according to Andrés, “has a vision to it with many initiatives that will make it into an example for Ecuador and surely one of the most interesting coastal addresses in Ecuador”.
Years ago he launched a project in the Galapagos which, although was a statement for sustainability and won an award for its contributions, hit too many brick walls due to unexpected restrictions. Based on this experience, he launched a project for Mindo, a wonderful natural area 50 miles northwest of Quito. This project did not take off as intended either.
“A lot of hard, passionate work was put into this but I soon came to realize that the project was underfunded on the one hand and that it did not address the wants and needs of its projected target market on the other. This is when a decision was made to put it on hold. These experiences have been difficult but they have left valuable lessons too.” says Andrés.
Beyond the need for better structuring, another lesson Andrés learned is to focus on products that people actually want and need, in products with a strong market.
This is why he decided to create a project at Punta Carnero. He believes the product, the location and the timing are great and provides his reasons for this.
He states that the President of Ecuador recently mentioned Punta Carnero in a public address as a place where positive initiatives are taking place.
Andres is looking for an investor or two as venture partners. He indicates that there has been substantial work so far and things are coming together in a positive way.
His endeavor deals with the launch of a residential ocean-view building in Punta Carnero and, especially, setting the stage for years of quality growth and opportunity in the area.
Punta Carnero is a remarkable area that has extraordinary potential for rapid quality growth amidst a vision that can very well be an example for the rest of Ecuador. This generates tremendous opportunity for investors and for condo buyers.
The raw investor can see great returns and growth over time and the condo buyer can see major improvements that will give him appreciation, better quality of life and feel-good at many levels.
The elements that are shaping up Punta Carnero to become the most interesting coastal address in Ecuador are many and quite real and coalescing now in many ways.
Let me give you a brief overview of this for Punta Carnero and then one for Aqualina. I will try to be more specific now.
– For starters, Punta Carnero is a beautiful beach that while just minutes away from the services, conveniences and attractions most people will want to take for granted, and while having fairly good infrastructure, remains natural and charming.
– There is a vision with many initiatives that will make of Punta Carnero an example for the rest of Ecuador. It is called the Punta Carnero Vision and it’s quite official and ongoing. It is being forwarded by the committed and influential Punta Carnero Association of which I am a Director. I can share the documents, provide specifics, appointments, names, etc.
– The initiatives stemming from the Vision are varied. Some are being implemented already and., while there is a major road ahead and many challenges, they are starting to show and to create significant enthusiasm.
– I can give you several examples. Let me share one.
– President Rafael Correa, in his last address to the nation in 2012 (on December 29) mentioned Punta Carnero in a most positive way, as a place where the community is taking care of things and that has good initiatives.
– President Correa is quite fond of the general Salinas area. He spent New Year’s in Salinas and bicycled through Punta Carnero (as he often does). What we are doing in Punta Carnero conceptually resonates very well with the President and his government. We are getting a letter about the Vision hand delivered to him.
– On other things, the new passenger terminal for the Salinas Airport will start construction early this year, as funds have been earmarked and awarded for this. There is an official report on this stemming from the Public Woks Ministry. Construction will supposedly take 210 days. This will be a major boost for the area.
– Also, there are advanced talks to place the Punta Carnero Hotel with a major player.
– The waters of Punta Carnero have been declared a Marine Reserve. While this is not really that substantial for the development of Punta Carnero, it does contribute to the feel-good aura that is taking place and growing in it. I can share the link(s) where this designation can be evidenced.
– Punta Carnero is already starting to be in the news. Not only the President is making references to it but two very nice articles have appeared recently. One in ABORDO, the monthly magazine of TAME, Ecuador’s largest air carrier. And the other in Bienes Raices Magazine, a coastal real estate magazine in Ecuador for higher-end readers.
– For the ABORDO article, please follow the link below and see the March/April 2012 edition.
– Punta Carnero is bound to receive very good coverage (magazines, newspapers, tv shows). There are many reasons for this. Not only is there a very good story to tell but also I am making this part of the PR campaign.
– Local, provincial (estate) and national authorities are quite enthused at the perspectives for Punta Carnero becoming a major happening place, an example of initiatives and a beacon for investments and quality growth. This is opening many doors for significant collaboration with them; which enhances the potential in a great measure.
– For example, top authorities in the all-powerful Production Ministry of Ecuador, which oversees the Public Works and the Tourism ministries and is in charge of fostering development, has established Punta Carnero in its map for tourism investments in Ecuador.
– There are already several expats in Punta Carnero and they are really excited and ready to put in the good word. They have nice stories to tell. One of them is a lovely couple setting up a boutique hotel. Many things happening, many things coming together.
– There is a major campaign headed by the Punta Carnero Association to get underground cabling and the design and implementation of beautiful sidewalks that will go for the 1.5 mile length of Punta Carnero. This will be a major contribution to the aesthetics and functionality of Punta Carnero and will be complemented by many more positive things.
– This underground cabling and sidewalk initiative needs to be coordinated with authorities (it’s clear to see, in cases like these, why their enthusiasm can help us in so many ways).
– Also, there is a program to place beautiful carved wood signs at the entrance to the beach and to protect the beach vegetation with “rope corrals” as can be seen in some areas in Fort Lauderdale. This improves awareness, helps with control and contributes to the functionality of the area. Things like this add meaningfully, especially if complemented. I can share images of the design ideas for the cartels and corrals. The first signs are being commissioned and should be placed in a relatively short time. One of the signs, a big one at the start of the beach, will reference the Punta Carnero Vision and will provide the link for the Punta Carnero webpage that will have a lot of information (and some design tweaks) in the next few days.
– In the next several days we will be launching a new Façade and Landscaping Campaign for Punta Carnero.
There are a lot of things to share. I am leaving out a ton of interesting elements for the sake of time and space.
Many people are improving their houses and doing or planning good things in Punta Carnero. Somebody I know wants to do a beautiful spa.
Aqualina, for one, will be a major statement in Punta Carnero and will set the stage. All these positive things will bring-in more positive things and so on.
Many people, many investors, will especially like knowing that there is a Vision with deep planning for Punta Carnero. Planning can make a world of a difference and Punta Carnero lends itself beautifully for this. I see layers upon layers of value being created.
Aqualina will be a statement to great design. Our coastline lacks good offerings of beautifully designed, high-end residential buildings catering to the niche of real estate investors; those looking for a summer home and aspiring expats that want top-end condos.
– It has been designed by one of Ecuador’s top architects. It is Humberto Plaza Arguello, based in Guayaquil. He has an impressive resume. His experience and capacity are a great contribution to the design, the soundness, efficiency and execution of Aqualina.
– The construction company for Aqualina is CONBAQUERIZO S.A.. It is a fairly sizeable and very good standing construction company from Guayaquil. It has won multiple awards including several for residential buildings in the Salinas area. This makes them quite adequate for Aqualina. A large and experienced construction company is a guarantee of soundness at many levels. Not only in solid and efficient execution but also in correct budgeting. You can see their website here.
They have done top-end residential buildings, large shopping malls and so much more.
I am dealing directly with the top-brass of the construction company. The budget, construction schedule and cash-flow needs have been assessed by their experts and by independent parties and we are being very conservative here, including with pricing. Pricewise we are not asking for what we need to sell fast, we are asking for what we need to be sound and successful.
– The Construction (as well as all pre-construction sales funds) will be managed and overseen by Morgan and Morgan, a trust company approved and regulated in Ecuador and with international experience and credentials. We are structuring a tailor made trust with them.
– The land for Aqualina is owned by the project. The design is ready and it has been pre-approved by the Municipality of Salinas. The Mayor, Vide-Mayor and Planning Director are quite enthused about Aqualina and have expressed their wish to see it start construction at soonest. I can share with you the pre-approval document. The approval will be ready in the next several weeks. We are timing all this. This is a very well structured endeavor.
CALL FOR AN INVESTOR
I believe Aqualina will sell quite well; the international and local market is very good for us. This, as well as all what I am doing for and what is happening in Punta Carnero is creating an ever increasing opportunity for growth in the area.
The PR efforts, the campaigns, the coordination, they all require funds. All pre-construction sales funds will go to the Aqualina Trust Account and to Aqualina construction. I will see my pay-day last in line, at the end of the day. So funds can certainly help right now.
Please note that I am not really seeking a venture partner for the funding of the construction of Aqualina. This will be dealt by pre-construction sales, a few condo exchanges with pre-screened top suppliers and by bank financing if needed, after we reach a certain sales threshold.
I would, however, very much welcome a venture partner (or a few) to make the most out of the opportunity at hand, to be able to take advantage of the biggest picture.
While investment funds are not essential right now for the launch of Aqualina sales and to keep the campaign going and to get Punta Carnero into the spotlight (I believe to have those bases covered), they can certainly enhance the perspectives allowing me to reach farther in a better way and, of course, relieve important weight off from my shoulders.
I am working on the Punta Carnero webpage, working on the beach signs, coordinating with residents, contractors and authorities, coming and going between Quito, Guayaquil and Salinas. I am preparing posters and ads. I am securing some of the very best lots in Punta Carnero (for growth) signing documents with their owners, some of whom are my friends. I am commissioning designs for many elements. I am doing many things and capital will sure help me achieve more, faster, better and with less strain.
I would prefer seasoned investors that can bring smart money, understand the challenges and potential and look into the longer term. We can have results in a fairly short time but a relaxed investor who can stay for the longer term will be better.
I pretty much have all bases covered to launch. But funds will really help me reach better and farther, not to mention lifting some weight off my shoulders.
I am looking to raise $100,000 for one or a couple of investors.
Interested parties will receive an information package under non-disclosure, non-circumvention terms. Use and allocation of the funds will be clear, as well as ROI and perspectives, and all due formalities.
Investors would profit share in Aqualina and in Punta Carnero growth. I will provide the specific opportunities and plan. I can send you an overview of this.
For more details contact me at email@example.com
Meet Dr. Cordova in Mt. Dora February 1-2-3, 2013.
Multi Currency Value Investing Seminar
Old Accord Creates New Profits – Multi Currency Investments.Learn about multi currency stock market breakouts at our Online Value Investing Seminar and save $502 or more.
The Value Investing Seminar is our premier course that we have been conducting every October and February for over 30 years. Now you can join the seminar online.
Improve Safety – Increase Profits
Learn how to improve the safety of your savings and investments by selecting good value and diversified investments in a multi-currency portfolio.
Few decisions are as important to your wealth as the value of the markets and currencies you invest in. This has been our area of expertise since the 1970s and we have worked with and advised some of the largest currency traders in the world.
Gain Protection First – Against the Dollar’s Purchasing Power Loss. In 1913 the The Federal Reserve Act created the Federal Reserve Bank to protect the purchasing power of the US dollar, which has since lost about 94% of its purchasing power. Here is its price compared with gold since 1900.
Dollar chart from pricedingold.com (1)
The Fed has let the dollar lose most of its strength plus has allowed interest rates to fall so low, that safe investments cannot keep pace with the drop in purchasing power.
Chart from Grandfather Economic Report (2)
Many investors have forgotten about the risk of a falling dollar because the greenback has been strong for the past five years. This temporary dollar strength came after the great recession of 2009 just as there was temporary dollar strength after the great recession of the 1980s. Then about six years after the recession, an agreement was made by major governments to weaken the dollar.
There was a severe global economic recession affecting much of the developed world in the late 1970s and early 1980s. The United States and Japan exited the recession relatively early, but high unemployment would continue to affect Europe and the UK through to at least 1985. As a consequence between 1980 and 1985, the US dollar had appreciated by about 50% against the Japanese yen, Deutsche mark, French franc and British pound, the currencies of the next four biggest economies at the time. Then the governments reached an agreement and exchange rate values of the dollar versus the yen declined by 51% from 1985 to 1987.
Now the world is again in the same place. The recession is over. Europe is a bit behind in recovery and the dollar is 50% higher than before the recession and there is no reason for the greenback to be strong.
The agreement in 1985 was called the Plaza Accord. Over just two years the greenback dropped nearly 50% versus other major currencies. The next accord will generate great profits for those who know what to do while it ruins the purchasing power of dollar back investments.
The strong US dollar and low interest rates have created one of the biggest stock and multi currency breakout opportunities in history. Learn how to create a plan to profit from multi currency shifts ahead.
One reason for the potential gains is that stock markets and currency values are cyclical. Due to low interest rates created by the 2009 economic downturn, the US and a few other equity markets have risen to some of their highest prices, ever. These markets offer very poor value now. The steep valuation creates incredible profit potential but also hides some enormous risks. Learn how to develop an investing strategy based of earnings, cash flows, dividends and book values to increase potential for profit and reduce the risks.
Next Extra Profit Created by Value Breakouts
Over the history of US equity markets, the price of overall markets have risen about 9.1 percent, respectively, compounded annually. Yet over more than a hundred years of stock market activity, a majority of the profits have come from just a very few dramatic breakouts.
Equity markets are ruled in the short term by emotions that create unpredictable ups and downs. Numerous fears of defaults, worries of double dip recessions, high unemployment, concerns about fiscal cliffs, hold investors back. Yet global population growth and advances in production and prosperity are relentless economic fundamentals that increase value.
When fear holds back a a fundamentally rising value, rising profit potential grows. Values increase as prices stagnate. Then markets break free and rocket upwards creating wealth, prosperity and growth.
Learn how to use value as a guide for spotting these breakouts that create fortunes.
Sign up for our current Value Investing Seminar and learn the latest breakout possibilities in global equities, currencies, real estate and commodities.
For example the seminar shows the potential for a breakout of the Singapore dollar.
US dollar rising against Singapore www.finance.yahoo.com chart
The US dollar has been rising without valid economic reasons versus the Singapore dollar since the middle of 2011. The rise has been especially strong since mid 2014. This currency distortion creates extra value opportunity because the fundamentals for the Singapore dollar are strong and fundamentals for the US dollar weak. This is exactly the type of breakout position we look for and share in this seminar.
Here are the currency fundamentals:
US GDP Growth last year: 2.2%
Singapore GDP Growth last year: 2.9%
US current account balance for last year: -$758 billion or -2.5% of GDP
Singapore current account balance for last year: +$49 billion or +21.2% of GDP
US Budget Balance as % of GDP for last year: -2.6%
Singapore Budget Balance as % of GDP for last year was a low: -0.7%
US Unemployment: 5%
Singapore Unemployment: 2.0%
US$ Interest Rate 10 year bonds: 2.19%
Singapore $ Interest Rate 10 year bonds: 2.57%
These are economic signs of a currency’s strength. They show a classic indicator that it is a good time to borrow US dollars and invest in Singapore dollars.
Where to Invest
The seminar reviews many ways to diversify currencies for investors large and small.
For example almost anyone can invest in the Currency Shares Singapore Dollar Trust (FXSG) managed by Guggenheim Partners.
Guggenheim manages a stable of currency ETFs under the Currency Shares brand.
These ETFs are traded on the New York Stock Exchange so even small investors can diversify in other currencies.
One of the ETFs is the CurrencyShares Singapore Dollar Trust (FXSG). The investment seeks to reflect the price of the Singapore Dollar. This provides a low cost, simple, cost-effective means of gaining investment benefits similar to those of holding Singapore Dollars.
Find out which breakouts are likely to take place next.
Merri and I have been able to help readers have better lives, less stress and to make fortunes during up and down markets for over 30 years. The simple reason for this is that we aim for the really big profits earned at the start of a breakout.
In 2016 I want to kick off the year with you and share why I have confidence and enthusiasm about the breakouts that are near.
Here is a partial syllabus of this online seminar:
International & Value Investing Outside the Box. This session shows how to take advantage of unusual currency breakouts.
Here is an example. At our October 2012 seminar we told delegates that the Japanese yen was too strong and was likely to weaken early in the next year. In the next six months, the US dollar rose 13% against the yen. On December 12, 2012 one USA dollar would buy 82 yen.
Delegates who acted and sold the yen short picked up an extra 13% forex profit in nine months.
There is a second way they could have earned. They could have borrowed Japanese yen at a low interest rate (2.5%) and invested the borrowed yen into a Dow Jones Industrial ETF for this six month period.
In this example $100,000 was invested and used as collateral to borrow $100,000 worth of Japanese yen at 2.50%. The rate was 82 yen per dollar so to get $100,000, 8,200,000 yen was borrowed.
The $200,000 was invested in a Dow Jones Industrial ETF… a mutual fund traded on the New York Stock Exchange.
The ETF rose, along with the Dow, 12.85%.
The Dow as shown in this chart rose over 12% from January to July 2013.
The loan cost per year is $2,500 (2.5% on $100,000). The $200,000 portfolio rose $25,700 (12.85% of $200,000). In other words, the $100,000 originally invested grew $23,200 in six months.
That is the positive carry without the forex profit. Plus there is a forex gain as well.
By July a dollar would buy 100 yen!
To pay off the 8,200,000 loan would have cost $82,000 at the rate of 100 yen per dollar adding another $18,000 of profit.
The portfolio is worth $223,200 less $82,000 loan payoff or $141,200. That translates into a total six month profit of 41.2%.
How to spot value from cycles. Stocks rise from the cycle of war, productivity and demographics. Cycles create recurring profits. Economies and stock markets cycle up and down around every 15 years as shown in this graph.
The effect of war cycles on the US Stock Market since 1906.
Bull and bear cycles are based on cycles of human interaction, war, technology and productivity. Economic downturns create war.
Here is the war stock cycle. Military struggles (like the Civil War, WWI, WWII and the Cold War: WWIII) super charge inventiveness that creates new forms of productivity…the steam engine, the internal combustion engine, production line processes, jet engines, TV, farming techniques, plastics, telephone, computer and lastly during the Cold War, the internet. The military technology shifts to domestic use. A boom is created that leads to excess. Excess leads to correction. Correction creates an economic downturn and again to war.
Learn how the Cyber War (WWIV) may change the way we live and act and how this will affect currencies and investments.
Details in the seminar include:
* How to easily buy global currencies, shares and bonds.
* Trading down and the benefits of investing in real estate in Small Town USA. We will share why this breakout value is special and why we have been recommending good value real estate in this area since 2009.
* What’s up with gold and silver? One session looks at my current position on gold and silver and asset protection. We review the state of the precious metal markets and potential problems ahead for US dollars. Learn how low interest rates eliminate opportunity costs of diversification in precious metals and foreign currencies.
* How to improve safety and increase profit with leverage and staying power. The seminar reveals Warren Buffett’s value investing strategy from research published at Yale University’s website. This research shows that the stocks Buffet chooses are safe (with low beta and low volatility), cheap (value stocks with low price-to-book ratios), and high quality (stocks of companies that are profitable, stable, growing, and with high payout ratios), but his big, extra profits come from leverage and staying power. At times Buffet’s portfolio, as all value portfolios, has fallen, but he has been willing and able to wait long periods for the value to reveal itself and prices to recover.
This chart based on a 45 year portfolio study shows that holding a diversified good value portfolio (based on a good value strategy) for 13 month’s time, increases the probability of outperformance to 70%. However those who can hold the portfolio for five years gain a 88% probability of beating the bellwether in the market and after ten years the probability increases to 97.5%.
Time is your friend when you use a good value strategy. The longer you can hold onto a well balanced good value portfolio, the better the odds of outstanding success.
Learn how much leverage to use. Leverage is like medicine, the key is dose. Buffett leverages his portfolio at a ratio of approximately 1.6 to 1. This rate of expansion by the way is called the “Golden Ratio”. It is a mathematical formula that controls the growth of most natural things; trees, the shape of leaves, the spiral of shells, as well as the way economies and societies grow.
We’ll sum the strategy, how to leverage cheap, safe, quality stocks and for what period of time based on your circumstances.
Learn to plan in a way so you never run out of money. The seminar also has a session on the importance of having and sticking to a plan. See how success is dependent on conviction, wherewithal, and skill to operate with leverage and significant risk. Learn a three point strategy based on my 50 (almost) years of investing experience combined with wisdom gained from some of the world’s best investment managers and economic mathematical scientists.
Enjoy investing more with slow, worry free, good value investing. Stress, worry and fear are three of an investor’s worst enemies. These are major foundations of the Behavior Gap, a trait exhibited by most investors, that causes them to underperform any market they choose. The behavior gap is created by natural human responses to fear. The losses created by this gap grow when investors trade short term under stress.
Learn how to put meaning into your investing by creating profitable strategies that combine good value investments with unique, personal goals.
Learn how to span the behavior gap. Behavior gaps are among the biggest reasons why so many investors fail. Human evolution makes fear the second most powerful motivator. (Greed is the third.) Fear creates investment losses due to behavior gaps. Fear motivates us more strongly than desire. By nature investors are risk adverse, when they should embrace risk. Purpose is the most powerful motivator, stronger than fear and greed. One powerful way to overcome the behavior gap is to invest with a purpose.
Combine your needs and capabilities with the secrets and the math of our good value model portfolio.
Share ideas about my good value portfolio. My personal investment portfolio comes from a continual analysis of international stock markets and a comparison of their value based on current book to price, cash flow to price, earnings to price, average dividend yield, return on equity and cash flow return.
Markets included in this portfolio are:
• Hong Kong
• United Kingdom
• South Korea
These markets have been chosen based on four pillars of valuation.
• Absolute Valuation
• Relative Valuation
• Current versus Historic Valuation
• Current Relative versus Relative Historic Valuation xxxxxx
The seminar also reveals how to use Country ETFs to easily construct a diversified, risk-controlled, equally weighted representative country portfolios in all of these good value countries.
To achieve this goal my portfolio consists of Country Index ETFs that track an index of shares in a specific country. These country ETFs provide diversification into a basket of equities in the good value countries. The expense ratios for most ETFs are lower than those of the average mutual fund as well so such ETFs provide diversification and cost efficiency.
This is an easy, simple and effective approach to zeroing in on value because little management and guesswork is required. You are investing in a diversified portfolio of good value indices. A BUY rating for an index does NOT imply that any stock in that country is an attractive investment, so you do not have to pick and choose shares. You can invest in the index which is like investing in all the shares in the index. All you have to do is invest in an ETF that in turn invests passively in all the shares of the index.
The seminar also discloses the results of a $80,000 share purchase cost test that found the least expensive way to invest in good value. The keys to this portfolio are good value, low cost, minimal fuss and bother. Plus a great savings of time. Trading is minimal, usually not more than one or two shares are bought or sold in a year. I wanted to find the very least expensive way to create and hold this portfolio so I performed a test.
The Test for Low Cost Trading
Research put every part of this portfolio in place, except knowing the best, easiest and least expensive way to buy. A search for an optimal way to buy and hold boiled down to two methods. One tactic to test was to use a unique online broker that appeared to offer the lowest cost deal. The other approach was to use a community bank in Smalltown USA. The small town bank that I use looks after my 401K trust account and their service is first class. The benefit of small banks is that they still treat us as a human beings (instead of a number) and when we need, it’s easy to go right to the top to answer a question or get a problem resolved. There are no call centers and the bank and the person looking after my account is just around the corner.
I created a test to see which offered the least expensive service.
Working with my banker in Smalltown USA, I created two accounts, one at the online broker and the other at the bank. I placed $40,000 in each.
I set up the order for the country ETFs online, while my trust manager set up orders for the identical amounts of the same shares in his system. Then we got on the phone, coordinated our timing and on a count of three each pushed the button “BUY”.
I share the results of this test in the seminar. The savings you can gain on any purchase of country ETFs has the potential to be more than the cost of the seminar.
I have good news about the cost of the seminar as well. For almost three decades the seminar fee has been $799. Now because we have conducted the Value Investing Seminar online, you can save thousands. With the webinar, you save the cost of travel and accommodations, plus due to the fact that we don’t have to hire an expensive seminar room, we have dropped the fee from $799 to $297. You save $502 on the fee alone plus eliminate the cost of travel and accommodations.
You can sign up for all three of the seminars that we’ll conduct this year and save even more. As markets change we update the Value Investing Seminar, every four months, October, February, May. Then we conduct the seminar in person in July or August. The seminar available now has just been updated from our October 2015 seminar.
We have a special program for those who would like to join two, or all three of the seminars.
Two online Value Investing Seminars seminars: $397. You receive the updated October 2015 seminar now and the February 2016 seminar online.
All online Value Investing Seminars in 2016 $447. You receive the updated October 2015 seminar now and the February and May 2016 seminar online.